Friday, March 07, 2008

extremely low

As I mentioned, Henry's IEP (Individual Education Plan) annual review meeting is scheduled for next week. In our district (state? county? I don't know who makes these rules) he is due for re-evaluation every three years. In yesterday's mail we received a draft copy of the MFE (MultiFactored Evaluation) team report for our review before the meeting.

The report did not hold many surprises. Henry tested "average" overall for his reading and writing abilities, "well below average" for his math abilities.

It appears that the school psychologist's classroom observation was on a 5-star day, as no behavioral problems were noted. Henry was observed while doing a spelling activity in the regular 2nd-grade class, and versions of the word "appropriate" were used several times in the summary. (It should be noted that Henry's aide was with him the entire time, as she always is).

One amusing bit of the report was the description of the psychologist's "assessment and interview" of Henry. It was generally quite positive-sounding:

His vocabulary was well developed, he could name all the animals in a book he brought, spoke about his favorite video, Aristocats, and about his interest in Paris, France and indicated that he would like to visit the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame Cathedral. He was quite curious about pictures in my office and wanted to know about them. He was interested in football and follows the OSU and LSU, along with professional teams, and was knowledgeable about the teams and the results of the super bowl...

This description makes Henry sound like quite the little Renaissance man. Like you could chat with him all day long about wildlife, foreign cities, and sports. In reality, if you chatted with him all day, you would hear the same few facts about Paris and how he would like to go there. Yes, he can tell you who won the Super Bowl, because they discussed that in class and we discussed it at home. But I wouldn't say he follows professional football. Oh, well- I'd rather read a positive spin on my son than a negative one!

The report also noted he also said he had an ear infection for which he was on medication. This is completely untrue. I can only imagine that the psychologist asked Henry how he was feeling, or maybe noted that his nose was runny, asked him about it, and Henry responded that he had an ear infection!

The part of the report that really got me, though, was the summary of the Adaptive Behavior Assessment questionnaires. Henry's teacher and I each completed one. Our evaluations of Henry's behavior are in 2 comparative columns. In only 2 of the 9 categories were we in agreement.

In every other category Henry's teacher gave him a higher score than I did. My evaluation came out to "extremely low" in 7 of the 9 areas. Mrs. C's evaluation came out to "average" in 4 areas, "extremely low" in only 1.

My immediate thought upon seeing this was "what the hell is wrong with me? What kind of mother am I that I "rate" my son lower functioning than his teacher does? I should have more confidence in him."

But the more I thought back to the questions on this assessment, I came to a different realization. The questions (I'm sure many of you have seen them before) were like this:

My child cleans up after himself:
(choose one) never/almost never/sometimes/almost always/always


If Henry's experience and ability vary so greatly between home and school, it's because the expectation is different at school. In this example, he may very well clean up after himself almost always at school, and almost never at home. Because his teachers make him do it and I do not.

My son is 8.5 years old, and 90% of the time I dress him and bathe him. He has never answered the phone or prepared himself something to eat.

His little brother is more independent than he is. But his little brother WANTS to be- that's the difference. Thomas has long been interested in picking out his own clothes. Henry is not, so I pick them out for him.

I need to start making some changes- for Henry's own good. But it's not going to be easy. Not only will Henry fight me every step of the way, but many of our day-to-day activities are going to take twice as long. I may not be able to stick with it all the time, in every instance, but I need to start trying.

It looks like we'll be snowed in this weekend, so this is as good a time as any. I'll pick up a new stepstool and stock up on orange juice and milk (in case of spills) and maybe Henry will get his own breakfast tomorrow morning.

Wish me luck!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently came to similar conclusions. I always knew I did too much for my son, that it would be good for him if I took a step back, handed him his independence and stood by to assist--not do--BUT it is so hard. So damn hard.

I hate those always/sometimes/never questionnaires. I labor over the responses--will this make him look too good, too bad, inhibit services, am I being honest with myself, with others, do I really know what he's like since he spends the bulk of his day in a classroom away from me? Who is he at home? At school? How different it can be...

Hang in there Gretchen. Good luck with breakfast tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

Jen said...

After completing the Connors questionaire Ky's Dr graded it and called me to chat before sending the results out. She had noted the vast difference in ratings between his teacher and me... for instance, she said, the teacher seems to think he gets upset easily and cries a lot, but you rated that on the other end... Oh? Could that be because I cry easily and therefore my threshold for 'cries easily' is completely different?

I loved that his Dr advised us all to take the results with a grain of salt. That they were only a tool to start from.

You can also visit my blog today to see the results of empowering our guys with the independence of dressing themselves in the morning ;o) I just happened to post it last night LOL

Good luck with the re-eval -

Niksmom said...

It is such a hard balance to strike —doing enough versus too much for our kids. Good luck on your new "campaign!" Have you discussed the evaluation with the psychologist? I confess to LOL at your descriptin of your renaissance man! That's like someone telling me that Nikolas is "clearly independent enough to open the door for himself and mannerly enough to open it for others as well." Well, yes, since he absolutely **perseverates** on opening and closing doors! I guess it is all a matter of perspective!

KC's Blog said...

I sometimes feel that I do too much for K.C. When he does try to something on his own he always winds up more frustrated because he can't do it. I feel bad for him to see him struggling so I help him out. My Mom has told me I need to let him do things on his own.

Henry sounds like such a interesting kiddo! Just like you could sit and talk with him all day long. He's such a smart little boy, quite the sports fan!

We are always rooting for you and Henry!

Christine said...

Oh, this issue of allowing time and building competencies is one that I struggle with. Sometimes it takes five times longer for us to get dressed in the morning than I feel that it should but the biggest gift that I can give to Oliver just now is my time. But still, patience is not a particular virtue of mine.

Good luck with the breakfast making in the morning. I hope you're having something yummy!

Mom without a manual said...

This is funny. DWAM and I were just laughing about this. Yesterday morning JP did not come crawl into our bed. I heard him moving around and was concerned when he didn't appear in our room.

I found him in the bathroom brushing his teeth. He had on a mismatched outfit but he had picked out his own clothes (pants that he refuses when I pick them out). And get this--we fight him to get him to brush his teeth--and here he was doing it on his own!

I asked what he was doing. He replied, "Step 2 is brushing my teeth. Step 3 is brushing my hair...and these are the steps in getting ready for my first grown up party". This script brought to you complements of Christoper Robin in our latest Winnie the Pooh installment. Christopher Robin was attending his first boy/girl party and was "Growing up".

The point of all that...often they can do so much more than we think they can. It is crazy that he won't/can't do it when I push him but if he is reenacting a script he does it perfectly. I can't explain it...

Anonymous said...

oh, good luck! and please do post about this. i need some ideas! it's a tricky one, as far as i'm concerned, with a kid who's not 'compliant'.

kristina said...

I think the higher scores from teachers in categories like behaviors may be true for a lot of kids. For Charlie, something about the orderliness and expectations of school---plus the fact that he is at school and knows it---result in his behavior being different (better, usually). Moms are, well, just moms after all!

GClef1970 said...

I agree wholeheartedly with Kristina. Conor surprised me the other day by finishing lunch and immediately washing his hands in the bathroom. There are many tasks where he strives for independence... and then there are others that make me realize that I need to let go and stop being such a mommy! :-)

Tina Szymczak said...

Sometimes day to day life runs together and before you know it your child is 9 and never made a sandwich or picked out what to wear. My son, C, is starting to want to do these things but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that his 4 year old brother is wanting to do things for himself. We've tried visual schedules over the years with varying degrees of success but as I struggle to get the school to allow him more independence I am forced to look at the dependence I not only allow but sometimes foster at home.

Good luck in your new endavours

Drama Mama said...

I am eager to hear how it went.

I've always felt a little "mean" to Miss M, because I wanted her to be self-sufficient - she's been taking on her self-care needs for awhile now. I wonder if it's a gender thing. Anyway, I feel a little guilty about it.

And I'm about to do one of those f**king questionnaires for her IEP RIGHT NOW. Hate them. They do NOT represent my child.