Thursday, January 31, 2008

Henry update




This is quite a long video of Henry reading the concluding pages of The Lion King. The sound isn't great and of course we're still working on his pronunciation and enunciation, but I hope you'll catch the flavor of his story-telling ability. You may recognize the dramatic final battle between Simba and Scar/the hyenas. I did not prompt him to do this. I headed upstairs to have some homework time, and found him reading aloud to himself, with great flair.

Christine was correct in her recent comment- I have been kind of quiet lately. For one thing, I kind of lose perspective sometimes on what I want my blog to be. I want it to be more than just a “log” of what I did each weekend, for example. Or a big bitch session about things that are bugging me (like today our shower curtain rod broke. At least it was after my shower.) Add to that the fact that some things are not to be written in a public forum, and mix in a little of January-is-a-generally-gloomy-month, and you get, well, nothing written here.

One thing that I had wanted to blog about seems to have (knock on wood) resolved itself.


Henry's teacher (Mrs. C) and I had a phone conference two weeks ago (on the18th). At that point his behavior had badly deteriorated, and she was searching for what to try next. He was refusing to do any independent work at all, arguing with the teachers and, when they tried to ignore him, following them around shouting at them and/or randomly pushing or scratching other children in the class.

He was wasting so much time trying to argue about not hanging up his coat or doing his "independent work" (which is always an easy worksheet) that he was missing out on all his mainstream time with the other 2nd graders.
I also discovered that the time he had been spending with the regular class had not been as successful as we thought. Mrs. C had recently found out that the aide working with Henry had allowed him to just flip through the science book, for example, instead of following along with the science class that was being conducted. She was not challenging him at all.

Mrs. C wasn't wanting to be discouraging, but I think was more just trying to brainstorm with everyone involved to come up with a new strategy. I asked if she thought this was just transition trouble after the Christmas break. She dismissed that idea promptly: school had been back in session for 2 weeks. (But I know that Henry often starts back to school ok but then burns out after the first week or so.)

We were heading into the long MLK weekend- my kids were going to spend some time with Grandma and Grandpa and Henry's teacher was taking a little trip herself. She said she had some new books to read and was hoping to come up with some new ideas for working with Henry.
I felt pretty down after this conversation. I worried that his behavior would alienate him from the other children and prevent him from learning. I felt terrible knowing that my child was hurting other children. And I didn't know how I could help, aside from trying new medications or maybe taking Henry to a psychiatrist.
(After our parent-teacher conference in November, we began giving Henry a medication that our pediatrician had suggested. It has not helped at all, and we are weaning him off of it.)
I was pondering a lot of big questions, like what are my goals for my child? To be mainstreamed? To be able to work independently? To be challenged? To learn? To treat people with respect? All of these are potential goals, but some seemed to be mutually exclusive. It did not appear that he could be challenged to work independently and still behave productively at school.

For the past week, Henry has brought home glowing reports in his notebook. Mrs. C told me that she gave some thought to what I had told her about swimming lessons.

You see, Henry never argues with his swim instructor. He works so hard for her and never asks for help like he does in most other situations. I think this is because she is so no-nonsense. She is definitely not warm and fuzzy. But when she tells him to swim from one end of the pool to the other and then pull himself out with his scrawny little arms? He does it.

Mrs. C said she thought about that and realized that the swim instructor has created an environment where there is no room for negotiation. So when Mrs. C came back to school after that long weekend, she just told Henry here's how it's gonna be: you're going to do your work right now, and if you don't do it now I'm going to do it with you, hand-over-hand (which he hates). And after that, he was "the old Henry": smiling and happy and cooperative.

Some mornings he arrives at school and has maybe forgotten "the deal". So they sit down at "teacher table" and go over it again- you won't backtalk, you won't argue, you'll do the work. And then he's fine.

I know this sounds kind of hard-ass and cold-hearted. But Henry really seems to respond to it. Right now at least. We are all keeping our fingers crossed. It just seems to prove the old adage that kids need boundaries. And maybe the same way a good boss can't usually be your best friend, maybe a good teacher can't be the kids' best friend?

Mrs. C and I talked about having a reward system at home that corresponds to how his day is reported in the notebook. I proposed that he earns a star every time he has a good day, and then a certain # of stars earn him a new DVD or something. She suggested something even better- he can earn money according to how his day went, which will help reinforce the money concepts they are learning. She will report on his day using a 5-star grading system, and I will come up with the financial equivalent. That way, even if he has a rough day, he can still earn a small bit of money for his 2-star day.

Yesterday, the first day of the new system, was a 5-star day! Way to go Henry!

A certain 3-year-old someone has a birthday in February, and so does his daddy, so I should have some fun things to post about in the coming weeks.



11 comments:

kristen spina said...

Gretchen, there's a lot here and a lot insight and thought in what you write about Henry. It's interesting to me because, in a same-but-different way, we are experiencing similar challenges at school. Things have improved greatly with a formal reward system in place in the classroom. (And I never cease to be amazed at how hard my kid will work for a sticker...)

I've been thinking a lot about teaching styles lately. Within two months I need to know what type of classroom I want my son to go into for 2nd grade and I realize, it's not so much the definitition of the class--inclusion vs. mainstream general ed.--but the ability of the teacher to handle the issues.

It sounds like Henry's teacher is thoughtful and wise and cares a great deal about him. I think, in the end, those are the things that will matter most. For all our kids.

Good luck! And thanks for the update. (sorry about the shower curtain rod, that would make me very cranky!)

Niksmom said...

Wow, Henry's teacher sounds like a gem. I think it's very true that some of our kids need very clear, strong boundaries, while others may need to have freedom to explore and push boundaries (within reason). I'm glad to hear that the reward system is working so far. It's amazing, isn't it, how a little personal motivation and something tangible can make a real difference —even for me!

Sorry to hear about the shower curtain. At least is didn't happen WHILE you were in the shower!

Anonymous said...

oh! february birthdays! we have one over here, as well.

the video of Henry reading is out of this world! i LOVE his inflection! so expressive and such independence to be happily reading a book to himself.

i'm glad you and the teacher came up with something that's working so well! i know that fluffy will push and negotiate until the cows come home, if he senses any 'room'.

Eileen said...

He is just so sweet! And what an awesome reader!!!

I am happy to hear that things are going well at school now. i just read something recently about the guilt we feel as parents of kids on the spectrum. How we feel like it is in some way our fault when our kids behave a certain way. How we always feel like we should be doing more than we are. Henry is just trying to find his way and does not mean to really hurt anyone I am sure. It is just his way of figuring out what he can get away with. Don't feel bad. You are a great mom and do so much for all three of your children. I am glad that you and his teacher have such a good relationship and are able to brainstorm together to come up with ways to help Henry.

Crazy how the year flew. I feel like it was just yesterday that I read your post on Tommy turning three. It is just too scary that he is already turning 4.

I am glad that January is behind us and that you are feeling better now. I am looking forward to some birthday posts!

tulipmom said...

Thank goodness Henry has such an understanding and invested teacher. I'm glad to hear things have improved.

SB has been exhibiting many of the same behaviors you mentioned - arguing, refusing to work independently, and making silly noises, distracting other kids, etc. - in school lately. And I too am questioning which goals are most important. Do we just want him working independently (ie... doing things that aren't especially challenging but yet doing them without an aide by his side every second) or do we want him to be actually learning something? Of course we want both ... we want it all! It's just so hard to prioritize.

I think the reward system you're using sounds great. SB earns poker chips (which can be exchanged for 25 cents each) based on his teacher's daily report. And while I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of paying him for his performance, it IS the way things work in the real world, right?

Glad you're back.

Drama Mama said...

I love the reading. He is so sweet. And smart.

I am learning so much about teaching from my daughter, and the stories that everyone shares on these blogs.

It sounds like she's thinking and being creative. And that is a good thing.

xo

Xia Diaz said...

Gretchen, his teacher seems to care a lot about Henry's well being. This must be a great relief for you. He's in great hands!

KC's Blog said...

Henry is such a great reader, way to go!
Henry's teacher sounds really caring, that is awesome.
We love The Lion King too :)

GClef1970 said...

I don't think it is hardass at all. Rather, I think it is absolutely brilliant and EXACTLY the way to get Conor to do things, too. You can't negotiate with him. You have to tell him, this is how it is. Usually, I have to tell him something new about 15 minutes in advance so that he can have his tantrum and tell me "no" a hundred times. Then, he complies without even a peep. Good for you, being so insightful.

kristina said...

A long while since I have commented!

it sounds like what Mrs C is doing is setting up a clear structure for Henry, so he does not have to worry (= get anxious) about what he might have to do, but know what to do. Sometimes for Charlie I just tell him "Let's do this" instead of asking----sometimes he has been saying a lot of no's and then a final, yes.

kristi said...

Ugh, we have gone thru the same thing with TC. I think he NEEDS the no-nonsense kind of teacher.