Thursday, January 04, 2007

outsmarted again

Yesterday morning while we were waiting for the school bus and watching Playhouse Disney, Henry told me "I like Handy Manny and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse." I already knew this, of course, but I saw the comment as my golden opportunity to promote what they've been doing over at the NOS house.

"You know what, Henry? My friend Bud, he likes Mickey Mouse Clubhouse too. He wanted a Mickey Mouse clubhouse toy, and decided to try to earn one with a sticker chart."

Henry was rapt. Smiling and hanging on every word. It was working...

"Bud doesn't like vegetables either. When he eats them, he goes 'aaack aack (said as I made a gagging face)', just like you! Actually, he's a lot like you- that's why his mom and I are friends. So now, every time he eats a bite of a vegetable, he gets a sticker on his chart! And once his chart is filled up. . . he gets the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse toy!"

I was doing a great job of selling this idea! He was buying it, hook, line, and sinker.

"So you could try that, Henry. If there was a toy you wanted..."

Henry interrupted: "or a movie or a book..."

"Right. If you wanted a toy or a movie or a book, we could have a sticker chart! And every time you ate a vegetable, you would get a sticker."

Henry summarized: "So every time I ate a tomato, I would get a sticker!"

Mom furiously tries to salvage this deal: "oh, right, ummm, I forgot how much you like tomatoes. And those, are, umm, vegetables. Errrr..."

Luckily I was saved by the school bus. If he remembers this conversation, he'll have me feeding him 37 tomatoes at one meal and then buying him a present.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This can be salvaged! How about a chart that has a row for tomatoes, a row for peas, a row for corn, etc., and the prize is earned when all the rows are filled?

Mamaroo said...

I might try this with Brother-roo. I don't think Roo will understand a chart like this yet, but I bet it will be a great way to get Brother-roo to eat more vegetables. I'll take the idea from Mom-Nos and vary the vegetables on the chart, so that I won't get outsmarted. That Henry is a clever boy!

kristina said...

Well, at least he'd be getting his vitamin C!

You set up the chart so you can determined the tomato amounts.....

Wendy said...

Tomatoes are actually a fruit so maybe you could have a fruit chart (if he also doesn't eat a lot of fruit) and a vegetable chart. Both could be used for rewards.

I hope you don't have to serve 37 tomatoes at one meal! They're expensive!

mommyguilt said...

OOOOOH! I like that idea. We already have a chart for smallBoy to earn stars for video time, but adding vegetable eating as an incentive might just work! WONDERFUL!