Monday, June 26, 2006

the weekend

Saturday I visited my oldest friend. She lives 2 1/2 hours away, and it's been 2 years since I've seen her! She has an 8-year-old son (E) and a daughter (L) who was celebrating her 4th birthday. I faithfully attended her son's first few birthday parties, but last year got away from me somehow. I decided to just go for the day and just bring one of my kids- traveling light.

I brought Thomas, since he is the "easier" child to take to a birthday party. He's not as likely to be caught with his fingers in the birthday cake, or opening the birthday gifts, which has happened with Henry more than once.

I have decided, though, that next year I will go to E's party, and I will bring the whole family. People seemed disappointed that Henry wasn't there. And a couple times when I made comments about Tommy, like "he is a good eater. He'll try all different kinds of things" my friend would jump in and say "well Henry was always a really good eater too." I am probably being paranoid, but I got the feeling that she felt she had to defend Henry, or thought I was favoring Thomas.

Here's the picture that will get me nominated for mother of the year:




















He's bouncing on his Spiderman beach ball party favor, with a sucker in his mouth that came from the pinata. (What a fun party!) But I probably should have told him to stop doing that unsafe thing, rather than thinking "he looks like such a KID!" and taking his picture.

Here's another shot where he looks like such a KID. We were trying to get a picture of me, my friend, and the kids (easier said than done). Besides the flash reflection right above my head, what is my son doing with his hands?!





















(You can see how tan his little legs are getting. He seems fortunate enough to have his daddy's coloring.)

I had a brainstorm this weekend and thought of a good way to store all of Henry's "Disney papers." (Up until now he carried them around and would spread them out on the floor. Then I would pick them up and hide them somewhere until he asked for them again. Some of them have been clutched so long by his sweaty little hands that they are frayed and worn.) I slipped the papers into those clear plastic sheets and put them in a 3-ring binder. Now he can carry them around, look at them easily, they won't get damaged, won't make a mess, and won't look so odd.

6 comments:

Octobermom said...

That's such a great idea (with the Disney Papers, I mean)! Does he love it?!

GClef1970 said...

I love how precious Henry looks while looking at the new book that Mommy made him with his coveted Disney pictures. Do you think I could create a similar book for the family's shoes, so that he would stop bringing out all 300 pairs into the kitchen? :-)

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

That is such a great idea for his Disney pictures! Putting it in a binder will make them more accessable and easier to look at. All kids have collections that they may or may not choose to carry around (Boo likes her bug case filled with her plasric bugs). Once we got Gabe to hold only one ball instead of six, it made it easier on him and it was appropriate.

He looks right at home with his binder!

Kristin

Tara said...

As a newbie blogger thanks so much for your post. I just am getting such a thrill from sharing with a group of incredible moms who get it!! Hooray! Your family is lovely and I must go back and read some of your earlier posts re: Henry's NICU stay. I think the saddest part of our experience was my not being able to hold Littleman for 8 days.
That and the territorial nasty nurses. Oh well. As for nominations for mother of the year- today I took Littleman to the breakwater to search for more sea bugs- his newest obsession. As you can imagine at this time of year Maine is deep into tourist season. As these friendly folks from "away" walk past us they are horrified to see Littleman stretched out with his whole arm lost in the massive space between the boulders, hunting for sea bugs. Several times I had to adjust his body because he was nearing the edge and the big ole ocean is only a foot away! We found a total of four- the biggest
Littleman called a "real whopper."
I hope Henry is enjoying his Disney papers as much as we are enjoying
sea bugs!
Tara

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for Henry's Disney papers! Sort of like a scrapbook. Following Grandma's footsteps?

kristina said...

Hey, at least he wasn't on the ball with the sucker in his mouth at the top of the slide.......