Thursday, June 01, 2006

random notes from the sauna

Yesterday was my 9th wedding anniversary. I had hoped to scan a photo and share it, but it just didn't happen... (Thankfully our wedding day was not as horrifically hot as the past week has been.) On May 31, 1997, a gentle rain fell throughout the day and I married my best friend in a shelter house in front of a fire. Every day since has been better than the last. Happy Anniversary husband. I love you.
______________

We have just returned from an end-of-the-year trip to the zoo with Henry's class, and are cooling off, each on separate floors of the house. (Not temperamentally cooling off, but physically cooling off.)

The zoo trip was fun. I love Henry's teacher and aides. One interesting observation though: there are only 4 kids in Henry's class. I have only ever seen one other parent. This father was there for "meet the teacher" day in the fall, was at the fall party I went to, and his IEP meetings always seem to be scheduled before or after ours. This dad clearly has an ASD, and I think he's the first adult I've ever met who seems to have full-blown autism. Every time we see him, he asks us where we live, how much we paid for our house, why we decided to live here, whether we live near the Jewish Center (we do), whether we belong to the Jewish Center (we don't)... you get the idea.

This guy is kind of irritating (I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but hey, Henry's constant inappropriate questions irritate me sometimes too.) But today I realized that at least he really seems to take an interest in his kid's life. He takes time off from work (as a computer programmer) for these events and really makes an effort to talk to the other kids and get to know the adults too. Where were the other 2 kids' parents? I know it's not always easy to get off work (my vacation time is practically at a negative balance), but I have not seen them at anything throughout the year.

On another subject: I was proud of Henry at Target this weekend. He picked out 2 DVDs to look at. I said that he could look at them while we walked around the store, but could only pick one to take home (praying that he would choose Chicken Little rather than Power Rangers.) We talked about it as we shopped, with him always saying "I want to take TWO movies home mommy!" Like, he couldn't believe I was having so much trouble understanding that. Anyway, we got to the checkout and I was expecting a mammoth meltdown. I asked "which movie do you want the most?" And he calmly answered "Chicken Little." I said "OK, then we'll leave Power Rangers here" and he said "OK." And that was the end of it!

We also attended a Memorial Day parade last weekend. Henry protested that he didn't want to go, which surprised me, because he has always enjoyed parades. And he did enjoy it once it began, but the anticipation of the noise and all the people seemed to upset him beforehand. It didn't help that I misunderstood the time the parade started and got us there an hour early. We bought Timbits from Tim Horton's and then the cottonwood flying all around stuck to our sticky hands and sweaty faces. Summertime is so gross.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Bud doesn't like parades either. Around here they all seem to end with a long line of fire engines with sirens wailing, and even though I always time it so that he and I are away from the action by that point, the knowledge that he knows it's coming just ruins the fun for him.

kristina said...

When we've gone to parades, we walk them---Charlie's not one for standing still. Bravo about the Target trip!

And a very, very happy anniversary.