They called me at work to check in, and I asked Henry, "how was your day?" I expected him to say "it was super good!" Or, "I had gentle hands almost the entire day." Or, "I played Nick Jr. on the computer."
Instead he replied "I got a gluurb."
"A what?" I asked.
(Louder) "A gluuuuurb!" (Henry does that thing that some Americans do when speaking to a non-English speaker: just says it louder and more slowly- thus making his words less intelligible, rather than more.)
"A glob?"
(Exasperated pause...) "A wuuuulrd"
"A word?"
"A wuuuulrd!"
"I'm sorry buddy, I'm not understanding your words..."
Then, finally, he shouted "the earth!"
This globe/ball had been waiting for him in the mail. We got it with our new subscription to National Geographic Kids. It was not something that I anticipated him talking about. But once he tried a third way of getting his point across, I was so excited to finally figure it out! I was even more excited when I found out that he had been reading the names of the continents and countries to Bill.Henry did more reading this weekend. He was looking at a cookbook and sounding out a surprising number of words- things like "country apple pie". Sometimes he thinks he would rather work in a bakery than be a con/destruction worker.
Also- some good news/bad news:
Right now Henry's (super-excellent-terrific) classroom is located in a different school district, and he is transported there. We just found out that they will be opening a STACK classroom in OUR district next year. It's one of those old school buildings where the elementary, middle school and high school are all connected on one long block. So it will be like he's going to school with his big sister!! Potentially she'll be able to get him home after school at least some of the time, and I won't have to leave work every day from 2:30-3:30. It will be so much easier for me to have contact with his teachers and participate in school events. I mean, it's 80% a good thing.
The 20% bad is just this: he's had so much success this year, and we love his teacher so much. I am just afraid to give that up and start over. And it makes me wonder: how many other times are we going to have to start over in his educational career?

4 comments:
We have never unpacked our globe from our move from the Midwest---it's in a box in the basement! Though I think Charlie would like it.
He's certainly had to be a bit of the "school globetrotter" over these past few years. I am feeling more than sad about his having his school but I also know that change of this sort can be good.
But still not easy.
"I had gentle hands almost the entire day". Oh my god, he's so delicious!!!
Those school changes make me so incredibly nervous. We've done it once and are already thinking about shifting her out of her current school by the end of this year. I always have this irrational fear that she'll lose all her new skills. I'm sure I'm being ridiculous but I can't help but stress out over it anyway!
Sal
How lovely that Henry was so persistent in trying to get his message across!
And here's hoping that Henry's new classroom will also be super-excellent-terrific!
We just have to go with the changes. I am sure it will all work out for Henry next year in the other school. Maybe he will have a better opportunity of making friends from his same neighborhood this way if they are all going to the same school.
What does Henry do for the summer?
Post a Comment